So, this conversation happened recently at my house:
Me: Honey, I need a drill.
Mr. Tea Rose: ….
Me: I mean, I have my Dremel and all, but I need your cordless one.
Him: Oh, I thought you meant–heh, never mind. It’s over here. <shows me where his cordless power drill is.>
Me: Honey, I need a screw.
Him: … You’re killing me.
Sooo….the papier mache on the saucers is almost completely dry, and there are no cracks and very little pulling away from the ceramic, so yay! Now we can move on to the next step.
I cut rough circles out of 1/4-inch foamcore for this step. The larger circles will be the seat of the chair, and the smaller circles are going to provide surface area for the glue to hold the chair to the saucer. I could claim the circles are rough and irregular because it will add to the natural look of the finished piece, but the reality is that my Xacto blade just wasn’t very sharp. Believe me, I wanted pretty circles if they were going to have their pictures taken.
After the above conversation, I persuaded Mr. Tea Rose to chop up a 1.25 inch dowel into lengths for the trunk of the tree. I only needed four, but apparently he was enjoying himself, because he cut the entire dowel up, and now I have eleven of them. Oh well, I was thinking about making a table anyway…
The circles need to be attached really solidly, so I had Mr. use his drill press (no comments please) to make pilot holes in each end of the dowel sections so I can attach the foamcore circles with drywall screws. What? Look, I asked him for wood screws, but we didn’t have any the right size. The fairy king can just pretend they’re wood screws. Or he can take it up with my husband.
Once the circles are screwed on, they are glued to the saucer bases. I’m a little anxious about this join; if any part of the chair fails, it’ll be here. You’ll have to pick the chair up by its stem or its back, which means all the weight of the saucer and the Sculptamold on top of it will be supported by this join. I seriously considered making my husband get out his masonry bit and drill a hole through each saucer so I could screw the dowel directly to the saucer, but I was afraid he might shatter some of the saucers in the process. In the end, I decided to go the easier route and hope it will work. I’ll make sure that the subsequent layers reinforce this join, too.
Now it’s starting to look like something! Not something particularly elegant, of course, but something. And, just for the record, that’s a different can of Diet Coke in the back.
Index of Forest Thrones posts is here.