Forest Thrones, Part 14: Leafing Out

Posted on

Okay, slowly but surely I’ve been working on my little trees. Now I have a deadline so it’s going to become fast and furious. There are only two steps left (well, three, actually) and they’ll be completely done!

Here’s how they look now:

(That one on the end has been finished for months; I finished it up so I could show it off to people.)

I would love to be able to say that these trees represent a specific variety, like oak or rowan or something romantic like that, but the fact is, because I am very, very lazy, I used the leaves from a silk garland I had lying around, and this one with the generic leaves was the only one that seemed appropriate in scale. I pulled the leaves off one by one (well, okay, they’re in clusters of three, but one cluster at a time), and glued them on each branch. If I hadn’t had a garland, I would probably have used a leaf-shaped paper punch from the scrapbooking department and at least two shades of green paper, maybe in vellum or some other translucent variety.

At first, it always seems like they’re going to be so sparse I’ll have to go back and fill in later, but then when they’re done they look just fine. There are about 73 twigs per tree, in case you were wondering. I counted.

I originally tried to use white glue for the leaves, but it turns out that silk leaves are actually made of nylon, and instead of behaving like a porous material that should adhere to white glue, it acts like a non-porous plastic. So, basically, everywhere I took the first one I finished, little leaves dropped off it and fluttered to the ground like in Lothlorien. I ended up taking all the leaves off that one, touching up the paint on the branches, and then reattaching them with Goop (because I couldn’t find the e-6000 glue at the store). That seems to have done the job.

While I was working with these trees, I realized the paint was rubbing off the bottoms of them as they got moved around. So I decided to add some feet and some felt furniture sliders to protect them and whatever surface they end up living on. I’ll include some pictures of that process next.

Next up: Sewing the cushions! Silk velvet and upholstery foam galore!  Expect more reports before the end of the week.

Index of Forest Thrones posts is here.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *