Building a BJD

Posted on

I’ve been on hiatus for a while, because life got in the way, and I was thinking about moving the blog or redesigning it or whatever, and I still am, but for now I’m going to keep posting what I’m working on.

So, for years, I’ve wanted to make my own bjd. I started on a head a while ago. She was named Calico, because an unfortunate oven accident left her scorched in a variety of colors. She worked out well enough, but I got caught up with trying to make her perfectly symmetrical and never finished.

Then, a couple of months ago, I decided to just quit dilly-dallying and make a bjd, already. If it sucks, it sucks. At least I’ll be able to say I did it. So I picked a tutorial by Allison MeCleary from the Woodland Earth Studio forum that used polymer clay and worked from the inside out, which made logical sense to me, and just started it. Here’s what I have so far. Her name is Elidee.

Elidee  04

The tutorial I’m following uses wooden beads for the ball joints, but that’s because she was going to make a mold and cast hers. I’m not planning to do that, so I want the whole doll to be made out of clay. I decided to use the beads to form the sockets for her joints, then form the ball part of her joints out of polymer clay. It was going great until I got to her knees. Knee joints are hard! I’m hoping that once I figure them out, the elbows will be easier.

Elidee 02


This was my first attempt at the knee joint (You can see that I left the head and one leg piece in the oven too long and they turned a darker color than the rest of the pieces). I thought it was working well, but unfortunately some liquid clay got into the joint while I was curing it the second or third time, and it all fused together. It broke into pieces when I tried to separate it from the leg. But I already carved out the excess stuff and rebuilt the sockets, and I still have the sculpted knee part, so all I have to do is rebuild the ball joints. Meanwhile I’ve sculpted the other leg and now I know to be more careful with any part that has liquid clay on it.

One part of this that has been great is that I’ve been forced to use an X-acto knife and a Dremel tool to carve the cured clay a lot more than I’ve ever done before. There’s something satisfying about it; it feels like being an engineer. One thing that baffled me before was how to sculpt over a hollow form, but this way I’m sculpting over a solid form made of cured polymer clay, and then drilling out the channels for the strings.

I think she’ll be about 18 cm when she’s finished. I’m terribly in love with her right now, but I know she’s not up to a professional level yet. She’s nowhere near symmetrical and her joints probably won’t work as well as I want them to. The one thing I want is for her to be fun to play with. If she’s fun, then I’ll consider her a success.